Monday 20 March 2017

A wee sniff around Johnshaven


I know you'll all be bored with hearing about my podiatric issues, but I had a bit of a setback last week, when the horrid cyst thingy on my right front paw reappeared.

So it was another trip to vet Katrina. We came home with a bucketful of antibiotics, and with these and yet more gentle paw washing I am again slowly recovering my bounce.

I indicated to Gail that although I did not feel like walking too far, I would appreciate a change of scene at the weekend, and she kindly agreed to drive me down to the wee fishing village of Johnshaven, about 30 miles south of Aberdeen.

It is a sleepy place, especially in March, but of course I found plenty of interesting things to sniff out.


Someone with a cottage by the shore has an unconventional idea of garden ornamentation, don't you think?



You will of course deduce from the sandstone houses that we are south of that most important geological dividing line in Scotland, the Highland Boundary fault.


Gail liked the nautical theme of this front door,  and politely requested that I pose in front of it.
 
Which of course I was happy to do, on the promise of a 'baked cheesy oatie (wheat free)'.
 
I'm please to report that, unlike when I was younger, Gail now trusts me not to be jump recklessly off harbour walls and into the sea.


Although in truth it was more fun deciding which bit of fishing equipment was most in need of 'decoration'.


Next weekend Gail and I going off with friends to stay at Inshriach, a big house on the edge of Cairngorm Mountains. (We went to Inshriach once before, many years ago, you can read all about how that went if you click here and here).

I am hoping my paws will be in better shape to tackle more adventurous walks by then.

18 comments:

  1. Hope your paw are feelin better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love such fabulous decorated places... and I'm still such a guy who tries to jump into the water... therefore I have to wear a walking string... because of my selective hearing. but the main thing is to have the staff on that string that they will not get lost. POTP for your paw, we hope your vet has the magic potion now to chase that evil cyst over all hills...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bertie NOOOOOOOOOOOO say it AIN'T sooooo not a sore paw....I'm so sorry sweetie.
    Thank goodness Vet Katrina and Gail have become quick as lightning treating it. Kitty kisses on your sore paw.

    Ohhhh my Mom loves that beautiful door too
    and what a quaint village,
    Hugs to you and Gail
    madi and mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hari OM
    Oh no, not the soresies again? Adding my POTP to DP's. You most certainly need to be in good condition for Inshriach - it looks to be a grand place! I am certain you will redeem yourself with much improved social etiquette on this visit!!! Meanwhile, Johnshaven looks a wonderfurw wee place to explore. Hugs and wags, YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you are feeling better by the weekend and have that "Bertie Bounce" back in your Step!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope your feets heal all up. Can you steal the door and art piece for us
    Lily & Edward

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Bertie, I'm so sorry that your paw is poorly again. You must take care where you're walking.
    How good of Gail to take you to the seaside for a change of scenery. It looks a bit dour, but I'm sure it's very pretty when the sun shines. That garden and the nautical doorway were most unusual, so I hope you didn't do any of your famous decorating ! I'd love my peeps to take me somewhere new, if only for a few new sniffs - I know all the ones on my usual walks.

    Love,
    Inca xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. That darned cyst!! What a bother. You should be out, racing about UNHINDERED! Love that fishing village. Bet the scents were heavenly. We know you'll have a wonderful time away.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMD OMD we were SO sure that the Cyst had "TAKEN A HIKE". Sorry to hear that it is still giving you such trouble. POTP.
    OMD we LOVE the HodgePodge decorating there. It is SOOOOO interesting. There was a fella in Columbus, Ohio who HATED to mow grass... so he TOTALLY filled his Yard with fascinating thingys... and made walking paths to meander through them... and NO MOWING or WEEDS fur Him to deal with.
    OMD you let Miss Gail OFF THE WALKIN STRING???? Weren't you terrified that SHE would take a PLUNGE?
    We hope your poor paw is 187% better by the time you head out fur your grand adventure. PAWS CROSSED fur you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks ever so much for showing us around Bertie. BUTT we REALLY are sad that the cyst came back!

    Your Pals,

    Murphy & Stanley

    ReplyDelete
  11. How rude of that cyst to come back!! We are glad Gail got you out and about to see such cool scenery!!
    Smileys!
    Dory, Jakey, Arty & Bilbo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bertie? How do you get Gail to take you on those special outings? You have her extremely well trained!

    -Otto and Osa

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry to hear that your paw is sore again and hope that it heals very soon. You do get to visit some interesting places- enjoy your trip to the Cairngorms. Nose licks and love from Moth xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. so sorry about your darling paw. That place seems very iteresting

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well, I'm glad you have matured and didn't jump off the wall into the sea - actually that might been fun, but don't tell Gail I said that.

    Sorry your paw is bothering you again.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Bertie, not the sore paw again! You and Gail take the most interesting little jaunts to such quaint places. Please get all better so that you can enjoy Inshriach.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a delightful sleepy fishing village ~ we would so like to visit your country and see all the out of the way places where tourist don't normally go. Bertie I am sorry you are having footie tootie problems again paws crossed it heals soon.
    Thanks for being a friend
    Sweet William The Scot

    ReplyDelete